Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Unwelcome guests welcome

This takes the same path as my last post. Knowing all things I write are more than double sided, I hope I offend no one, yet if I do I have made my point.


We already have pets, two cats to be clear. I am allergic to dogs more than I am cats so it makes for fun around the house. Now we have a new pet. A large Cats-Face spider as taken roost on one of the lamps in front of our house. At least that is what we think it is. She has made a beautiful web to decorate our house for Halloween. Yeah, we got the real stuff.
This spider and her web remind me of how sometimes we have unwelcome guests or things in our lives and we seem to want to get rid of them, forget them or just kill them off (usually spiders, not people). Why does it have to be that way? Why can't we just accept these visitors as friends, allow them to make us smile. I know sometimes there are things that make us afraid, or feel uncomfortable, sometimes even anger when they happen. Embrace them, whatever/whomever it may be. It does not mean we need total interaction, it does not mean that we have to caress and make comfortable their stay. The mere acceptance that it is fine to have them and to know that is a great achievement. As in the case of this spider, there is no harm in their interaction in our lives. I have seen so many people get butt-hurt over what the church has to say or what someone has said to them in the past, but do we look at any of the good? On the case of our spider friend, lets call her Spidey (I know, real original), we have looked forward to seeing her web grow, and when it is damaged we sigh and hope she rebuilds stronger. Normally, were it not for the Halloween season I would have been asked to get rid of her, how a time of year softens our hearts baffles me. Spidey does not like me playing with her, so I don't (too often). I don't even know if she likes us watching her growth, but I still do. Her happiness has become my happiness. I may not be able to communicate with her so I'll just write about her. She can't write on my blog either... Sad, but true. If she could, I don't know if I would want her to. She might not have anything good to say about me. I have bothered her so much, touching her back as I leave for work, making her jump. She probably wants to bite me. I would not blame her. I still look forward to seeing how she has done at the end of the day. Spidey has created a little web over the hearts of my family.
It makes me wonder if this is how God feels at times. Some of us have such bitter feelings towards Him while he still looks forward to hearing from us, seeing how we have grown, and looking forward to what we create. Yet sometimes we want to bite Him, or those things he has brought into our lives. Life imitates art, it is all how we look at it.

7 comments:

Bethany said...

Honey, you're way too deep for me:) Yes, I love our little "Spidey." I hope she stays:)

Anonymous said...

Are you the little pig from the book Charlotte's Web?

Joe said...

I think Beth would see me as the rat.

Joe said...

yeah, it takes a different sort of person

Jarret M. Sharp, Ed. D. said...

Kill the spider and put it out of its misery. Especially those that have huge backsides. CREEPY!

Joe said...

Sorry brother: "Thou shalt not steal; neither commit adultery, nor kill, nor do anything like unto it" (D&C 59:6)

All things must fulfill the measure of their creation.

I know where you are coming from though, scary if it were a black widow, and all the bugs I have killed will all stand at the bar, pointing with their little legs, staring at me with their creepy, little, beady eyes.

Jarret M. Sharp, Ed. D. said...

i still say monkey stomp it. i'll explain my rationale at the gates.