Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Should we?

A friend posted this comment in the aspect of if we should reach for all that we can do in this life. Here is what I posted in his comments. 

"men are that they might have joy" ~ I think we should reach for all that we can be, although limit ourselves only if it takes away from the freedom of others. I always remember this talk I heard where the person speaking said that hell would be looking back at our life and knowing that we could have done more for others and more with our own life. Then I think of the parable of the talents, and think that I have been given so much I need to be able to go out there and reach for more and share more, lest what I have be taken from me and given to another. We so often look at that as a parable of what talents we have in our terminology of what a talent is, when it was about money, which could also be time, or ability or capability. You could dunk a basketball on that hoop if you started working towards it, it would not be immediate, but you could do it. It would not be easy, and it would take lots of effort, but I really believe that people can get what they focus on because it has happened way too many times to me for it to be a coincidence. You are right on the thought, of "should we". I do not think God wants us to be unhappy in any extent and as He states He is a good Father that knows how to give good gifts. For us to deny our abilities to reach for what we can in this life is denying Him the gifts that He has for us, and what right do we have to say as in what gifts of His for us are better than the others.

1 comment:

Joe said...

an old friend of mine tried to post a reply to this so here it is:
Hi-
Long time to talk. I hope your family is doing well. I read your most recent blog, and it was very strange because we had a discussion in our office last week about this very thing…I tried to post this reply below…but apparently I am a bit long winded!!! HA HA.

A co-worker of mine recently speculated that some people are limited in their capabilities. I disagreed, claiming that anyone can achieve anything should their heart truly desire it. We carried on this conversation throughout the day, asking fellow co-workers for their opinions. Half of the people believed anything can be achieved no matter how far the reach. As the discussion progressed, I determined it was the my co-workers strong objection to the notion that anything can be achieved, that I disagreed with. In my world there are only a few certainties, I agree with good ol' Ben Franklin who stated "Certainty? In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes". And the only other thing I am certain of, is that there are no other certainties. So-any one can achieve anything, and it is faith which carries us through all we achieve. So have faith, and don't be afraid to reach for the stars, even if the odds are against you. You might not achieve what you set out to, but you will surely learn something along the way.

Hope life is finding you well…do you guys have a myspace?

-Angie